List of President of India
Candidate Who are preparing for the Upcoming Competitive Exam or Interview, You Must be aware that General Knowledge Plays a very Essential part in your Scores. Questions like Name of the President in India or the tenure of the president is very Important and are Frequently asked. so here is the list of President and Prime Minister of the world with there Countries. GK is the most scoring part of the Examination. Read the Article carefully and you can also download PDF format for Offline use. Read and boost your performance for Upcoming Competitive Examinations.
President of India
- The president of India is the head of state of India and the commander-in-chief of the Indian Armed Forces. The president is referred to as the first citizen of India. Although vested with these powers by the Constitution of India, the position is largely a ceremonial one and executive powers are de facto exercised by the prime minister.
- The president is elected by the Electoral College composed of elected members of the parliament houses, the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, and also members of the Vidhan Sabha, the state legislative assemblies. Presidents may remain in office for a tenure of five years, as stated by article 56, part V, of the Constitution of India.
- In the case where a president's term of office is terminated early or during the absence of the president, the vice president assumes office. By article 70 of part V, the parliament may decide how to discharge the functions of the president where this is not possible, or in any other unexpected contingency.
- There have been 14 presidents of India since the post was established when India was declared as a republic with the adoption of the Indian constitution in 1950.
- Apart from these fourteen, three acting presidents have also been in office for short periods of time. Varahagiri Venkata Giri became the acting president in 1969 after Zakir Husain, died in office. Giri was elected president a few months later. He remains the only person to have held office both as a president and acting president.
- Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, is the only person to have held office for two terms.
- Seven presidents have been members of a political party before being elected. Six of these were active party members of the Indian National Congress.
- The Janata Party has had one member, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, who later became president.
- Two presidents, Zakir Husain, and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed have died in office. Their vice presidents served as acting presidents until a new president was elected.
- The 12th president, Pratibha Patil, is the first woman to hold the office, elected in 2007.
List of President Of India
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad||26 Jan 1950 -13 May 1962|
|Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan||13 May 1962 - 13 May 1967
|Dr. Zakir Husain||13 May 1967 - 3rd May 1969|
|V. V. Giri||24 August 1969 - 24 August 1974|
|Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||24 august 1974 - 11 februray 1977|
|Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy||24 July 1977 - 25 July 1982|
|Giani Zail Singh||25 July 1982 - 25 July 1987|
|R. Venkataraman||25 July 1987 - 25 July 1992|
|Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma||25 July 1992 - 25 July 1997|
|K R Narayanan||25 July 1997 - 25 July 2002|
|Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam||25 July 2002 - 25 July 2007|
|Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil||25 July 2007 - 25 July 2012|
|Pranab Mukherjee||25 July 2012 - 25 July 2017|
|Ram Nath Kovind||25 July 2017 -|